Monday, February 15, 2010

A New Family

A few weeks ago, I received a call from a friend and graduate of the JFL Program saying that she was in the hospital and was not going to make it up to Advance Memphis that day. Although I could not go to the hospital right then, I was determined to go visit with her as soon as possible.

The next day, I called to make sure she was still in the hospital and asked another friend of ours who graduated with her to go with me to visit her and see how she was doing.

When we got there, our friend was looking horrible. The only time I ever remember going to the hospital was to be with family members, especially grandparents. Sitting in that hospital room, I was so aware that day of my family in Christ. Moving to Memphis several hours away from my immediate family was also never more obvious. I realized that even though my parents, brother and sister, are far away how truly blessed I have been this year. My friend is my family. While she is 25 years older than me, black, not white, and from completely different worlds, we both have the same God that deeply loves us.

I rejoice in the fact that even though I am miles away from those I love, He has given me a view of what He desires His family look like. I cannot wait for the day when we all stand before the throne reconciled praising our God.

"After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb." Revelation 7:9

julie@advancememphis.org