Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Volunteer's Experience with Advance

Jay Webb, pictured at center, above, has volunteered at Advance Memphis for over a year. Below are the notes he wrote before presenting to a meeting of his church members about his experiences at Advance. We were encouraged to read about his perspective on the Lord's work in 38126. Read his notes, below. 

What is Advance Memphis:
For me, the transformative statement of Advance Memphis is that is a relational example of the Lord’s work and intent. The program is serves individuals that have been lost in the abyss of apathy, neglect and/or self-induced pain.
 I will borrow from the programs mission statement: Advance intends to empower members of their specific community (Claiborne –Foote, the 38126 zip code) to recognize their specific skills and value as unique and gifted individuals - children of a Father, who created all of us to find joy and meaning in work. Advance has 3 distinct initiatives:
1.       The nationally recognized Jobs for Life program - candidates encounter a 6 week soft skills training program for those who are unemployed or under employed.  It begins with simple elements of work place conduct and is finished off with literacy and GED certification.  Jobs are then assigned with the cooperative partners.
2.       Faith and Finance – while working the candidate attends an 11 week program of financial literacy skills which is required for the 3rd part of the distinct program.
3.       Individual Development Account (IDA) – graduates are incentive to save with a $2 match to $1 dollar saving program. These funds are used to assist in the essentials of obtaining transportation, housing or additional education.
Why am I involved:
In preparation to speak with you, I had to search, why am I involved? There are dozens of reasons why and most of them are selfish in nature. Does that sound strange? No, because most of you serve and or volunteer. Don’t we get more than we give, when we serve?  Serving the specific community of 38126; one of the poorest zip codes in the U.S., and walking in the doors of Advance you are connected with some of the most ambitious folks you will ever encounter. Overwhelmingly, the filter of the front door brings the true players, the truly ambitious, those who have prayed for change. Those most motivated, walk through that door and in to the fold of its director, Steve Nash and the Advance staff. You are not working with “lost folk” (as Rocky use to say) inside Advance. Within that door you find relationships that are built on love, mercy, grace and acceptance. That is not to say, that you avoid the installation and foundational components of accountability and discipline! The key emphasis; and this is very important, the message and treatment is delivered with human dignity and compassion for another human.  The result of this environment is tremendous! If you want to witness the impact of Christ spirit and visitation, come with me and attend the graduation day. You will be washed in the joy of accomplishment; you invariably will witness the testimony of a candidate or see the new or refreshed commitment to Christ! The energy of the room is amazing, the dull room takes on new dimensions, and people are changing their life’s direction!
This summer, our ministers have been repeating the message of redemption.  Barton Kimbro’s delivery of the meeting of Jesus and the lowly tax collector Zacharias, Mitchell’s sermon, Jesus acceptance and validation of the Samarian women. Dan Brown, he probably thought I wasn’t listening while he discounted his abilities, but the delivery of the idea - God accepts me, but in an insecure moment – you think, will your neighbor accept you, will he/she forgive me, will they recognized your redemption? Can I have the second chance?
 Second chances and recognition of redemption is the strike zone of Advance. It isn’t genius on their behalf; they simply follow Christ teachings and methodology!   We/they serve the individuals who fell off the assembly line of education as teenagers and woke up to find themselves in their early 20’s without work skills , unfinished educational and most often, a criminal record for various destructive reasons. We all know the national statistics of crime rate in our youth between the ages of 13 to 21 years of age. When you add the lack of education on to the equation, the multiples jump.
Closing:
 I have had all the chances one person can be given. That said, I am an advantage immigrant, a product of a father in the military, whose marriage dissolved with my Mother when I was young living in my Mothers native country. As an ace in my hand, my mother was incredibly strong willed and devoted. Additionally, I have been fortunate to have had mentors that served as role models and nurtured me with good habits and emphasized the value of education.  I can’t say that - I found them or they found me! The reality is that mentors were always provided. Wonder, how that happens? Do you think someone was in their ear, like I and our churches are in your ears? I was very fortunate to have had these mentors and most of all they been grounded the Lords grace and capabilities.   
Our Lords acceptance of me is paramount, His gifts have been plentiful, my family the greatest gift of all. I am at Advance, developing relationships and delivering the message of redemption, education or re-education, because it is my responsibility!  It is my responsibility to serve others and nurture those who God loves and who love him.  Who in here has never had adversity? Show me hand! The rest of you are qualified to serve.
How can you get involved?
Contact Advance on Vance Avenue, up the street from Streets Ministry.  Call or write Steve Nash, the Director.  Go to advancememphis.org. Look for a staff member in this room. Grab me.
Other notes:

 It personifies everything that is right n the Memphis community. Let me say, there is a lot going on in Memphis that is good and just. This church, our churches, its members, its leadership and objectives are energized and gaining momentum.  Advance is a component of that energy and momentum! Using Christ example and scriptural mandate, we are accepted and worthy of redemption. My favorite poet wrote, “We are one, we are not the same, yet - we must carry each other”. I identify with that statement. It was written for a different occasion, but it is as true a statement in regards to our community as any other statement that can be made.