Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Blessed by Remembering


As another graduation rounds the corner, I am amazed at how fast time flies. Next week is Thanksgiving, and I will be leaving to visit my family and friends in Texas. All in all, I am wondering what it is I have learned, moving into the inner city and working to serve one of the poorest neighborhoods in Tennessee.

First, is that our God is faithful. He has provided opportunities for ministry, yet at the same time, I am realizing I’m not the one who needs to fix. I’m the one who needs to be fixed. My friends at Advance Memphis have taught me that life looks completely different on the side of poverty. Our values clash in several ways. Things I grew up learning are not the things that others learned.

How can you grow up in the same world, but lead such different lives? How is it that we are raised in a culture that forgets the poor and lead lives that bring success for us only? I have had an amazing time getting to know the residents of this neighborhood. They have become my friends.

A lot of our students are at Advance Memphis because they desire something more of this life. As I have led small group, I have learned some of the mistakes they have made in the past that prevents them from finding employment. Several of our students have felonies on their records, which puts a major obstacle in the way of finding employment. One of the most amazing things happened when I was talking with a woman in my small group. I remember talking with her and thinking to myself I don’t know what to tell her. What do you say to a student who has a felony? A felony is a permanent roadblock to success.

Then it hit me, or I should say God revealed to me what a blessing that can be. How many of us are constantly reminded of our sin? Here, she has a tangible reminder of her sin but also a constant reminder of the grace shown by our King. I wish I could be reminded of my own sin each day and be humbled by the love of God.

James 1:24 “For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.”

I pray that these graduates would be blessed by remembering their past and persevere, being doers of His word.

julie@advancememphis.org