Monday, November 30, 2009

CHOICES: Cindy's Story

Recent grad Cynthia Goad has been through many changes in her life in the last year. The following video was made at graduation, as Cynthia told how Advance Memphis helped to restore her hope.



Cynthia shared a bit more of her life story here:
My mother died at a very young age and I was basically the outcast of my family when my father remarried. I always felt as if I never “fit in” anywhere, always trying to please others. When I felt as if I could never do right, I ended up being a very resentful, sad and rebellious child. I ended up getting addicted to drugs, doing criminal activities and just not caring if I lived or died. I had no hope and had given up on myself, my family and even God. After attempting suicide a couple of times (and failing at that), I just felt as if I couldn’t go on anymore. I fell to my knees and asked God for forgiveness and guidance.

I ended up at a Drug and Alcohol Treatment center in Jackson, Ms. While there, I searched some programs that I would be able to attend and came back home to Memphis. I was led to Advance Memphis. I am a graduate of the Jobs for Life class and I have never felt better about myself. I have learned so much about God and the Bible. I have also learned about budgeting, perfecting my resume and how to properly speak and act during a job interview. To me, the best part of Advance Memphis is all the encouragement and inspiration that I receive. When there are days that I get discouraged about not yet being employed, all I have to do is walk into the building and see all the smiles and care that is genuinely from the heart. When I reach an obstacle, there are sincere people who are ready and available to provide suggestions and recommendations.
Today, I have hope and a plan for my future.

She also wrote the following poem. She wanted to share it with her graduation class, and was kind enough to allow us to share it on the blog.

Choices
Some people sit, some people try.
Some people laugh, some people cry.
Some people will, some people won't.
Some people do, some people don't.
Some people believe and develop a plan.
Some people doubt - never think that they can.
Some people face hurdles and give it their best.
Some people back down when faced with a test.
Some people complain about their miserable lot.
Some people are thankful for all that they've got.
And when it's all over - when it comes to a head,
Some people lost out and some people win.
We all have a choice, we all have a say.
We are spectators in life - or we get in and play.
Whichever we choose, how we handle life's game,
The choices are ours,
No one else is to blame.

Tribulation and sufferings bring about perseverance, and perseverance brings about character, which brings about hope. Romans 5:3