Thursday, November 18, 2010

My Life Has Radically Changed

Cindy Goad graduated from Jobs for Life one year ago and is now an Advance Memphis employee.
Here is her story, in her words.


One year ago, November 20, 2009, I graduated from the Jobs for Life Class in Memphis. Before I came through the program, my life was a total mess. I lived in chaos, I was sad, I was angry at my family, myself and even God. I didn’t understand why God allowed my mother to die when I was 5 years old and put me through such dysfunctional childhood events. I didn’t understand why I was trying to find fulfillment in alcohol and drugs. I didn’t understand why I couldn’t function in everyday society without wanting to die.

I had no hope for my future. 


When I sat in Jobs for Life class every day, listening to not only the instructors but to my conscience, I began to realize that there was a better way to go about living life. I starting pursuing a relationship with Christ and became very passionate about making some changes. I became active in bible studies and the AA program.

As my heart started changing, so did my thoughts, as well as my life.

I stand amazed at all God has done in my life just in the last year. 
 I am now 18 months sober and feeling better about myself every day. I am on the staff at Advance Memphis now, helping our graduates find employment when just last year I sat in the staffing office crying because I was ineligible to work through the staffing service. I have attended budget and credit counseling and I am now responsible with a checking and savings account and being able to make some financial amends. I have my own apartment and I am saving towards buying a car.

I have established a relationship with my children when I never thought they would speak to me again. They inquire about my life with Christ and have occasionally driven across town to attend church with me. I located my youngest son through the internet and now get to spend time with him when he didn’t even know me. My sisters and I are communicating and visiting with each other when I hadn’t spoken to them in years (one of them for 15yrs). My brother calls me “little sis” again. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting and talking to nieces and nephews for the first time ever. My parents came from Florida to visit with me and God is definitely doing some restoration in our relationships. My dad and I cried together and forgave each other and my step mom, who I used to hold deep resentments towards, is now becoming one of my best friends.

I value relationships today, when I used to cringe at the thought of being open and honest about who I really am.

I am proud of who I am today and all that I have accomplished through Christ. 
I often pray that God will allow me to share my experience, strength and hope with others so I can be an encouragement to anybody who is in a hopeless situation. My life has radically changed today. I smile, I laugh and I enjoy my family and friends. I have a job that I absolutely love with co-workers that don’t judge me and they love me for whom I am.

I don’t want to die anymore. I want to live and tell the world of how Christ has made a difference in my life today.

Cindy Goad
Advance Memphis Staffing Service Assistant
cindy@advancememphis.org