Tuesday, November 2, 2010

What Happens to an iPhone That's Stolen in Memphis?

Ever get tired of people's preconceptions about Memphis? Read the following blog entry by Operations Manager Ann Brainerd. Sure, there's some crime. But there's also so much goodness.

So during our last Jobs for Life class, I had my phone stolen from my desk – my new iPhone 4.

After returning to my closed office after lunch, I grabbed my purse to head out for an errand and realized that my phone was not where I had left it. Upon hearing this, a student from class immediately walked into the classroom to ask if anyone had seen my phone. The conclusion from the class was exactly what I had been thinking: the guy that had been sitting in our lobby half the day—who I didn't know—must have taken it. Another student chimed in that she had been outside for a smoke when she saw him walk quickly out of the office and take off around the corner. Even while this was being discussed, 3 or 4 guys headed out of the building to hunt him down, while the rest of the class followed outside. The Pest Control guy who had just pulled upsaw the mass exodus and asked if we were having a fire drill or something!

While the hunting crew disappeared around the corner, several of us tried calling my phone, only to have the voicemail pick up. I eventually headed out to the local AT&T store so I could get my phone turned off and switched to my thick old school phone. The moment I walked into the store and told them my phone was stolen, they immediately smiled and asked if I was Ann Brainerd. I meekly said, “Yes,” wondering why they knew my name. They gladly told me that work had called and that my phone was safe and sound at the office! I was thrilled to know that I didn’t have to wait in the long line just to get my phone transferred – but even more so that the guys were successful at getting my phone back.

Ann Brainerd pictured with students and a volunteer from the last Jobs for Life class.

I must say that I am continually amazed at the community here. This is just one of many examples that show the mutual love and care that the community and staff of Advance have for each other. As I returned to the office, people from class continued to ask if I was okay. I had an older man in the class poke his head into my office to add that “they did that because they care about you.” I nodded, acknowledging how thankful I am for that.

One of the students that went on the hunt for the phone told me that he just doesn’t like people that steal--or the idea that someone would steal from someone at Advance. They just couldn’t let him get away with it. And I'm grateful!