Friday, November 12, 2010

Tony's 60 Second Commercial

Today was the last day of class for the 16 Jobs For Life students who have made it through our intensive six week program. We had a sobering and emotional moment for several men and women today as the reality set in that finding a job with a criminal background is going to be a continual challenge (in case you didn’t know most employers automatically reject candidates who have committed crimes, and this is one of Advance Memphis’ hardest struggles as we fight for justice). It is always discouraging for our neighbors who have a felony on their record to see their classmates find work quicker than them. Today I did my best to encourage students to remain faithful with what they know, be proactive in looking for work, and trust God with the results.

As soon as class ended today I took several men from class to run errands with me. When we stopped at one of the places, the truck wouldn’t start and so we spent several minutes trying to get it jumped. As we stood around, one of the men who was upset about his background today, Tony, noticed a man planting trees. Tony introduced himself to Jesse, who, as it turns out, is the owner of a landscaping company. Tony gave his “60 second commercial” (an interviewing technique we teach in the program). Jesse asked him about his criminal background, and Tony gave him an honest answer, “I have made some mistakes in my past and had to serve time.” Tony then went on to add, “But my life has been changed and I just completed the Jobs For Life program at Advance Memphis.” With some additional comments about how he wants to work hard, add value, and prove himself, Tony was hired! Tony knew the job wasn't permanent or full time--but what mattered was that he had represented himself well and been hired. He had hope!

This story gets me excited because it demonstrates both Tony and God’s faithfulness. Tony was extremely diligent to apply himself during the 6 week program. He was brutally honest with me and his Champion about his various roadblocks, and he worked hard to address these roadblocks. He took what he learned in class and used it the first opportunity he saw. The result was that Tony was working within 2 hours of finishing the Jobs For Life class. Of course none of this would have ever happened without God’s guiding hand, which prompted Tony’s heart and was the ultimate cause behind the truck not starting. Praise God for providing such an opportunity, and congratulate Tony on his faithfulness and preparedness.

Tony told me that this was a testimony that I better use to encourage others! So I hope this encourages you as it does me.

andrew@advancememphis.org
Jobs for Life Instructor